So yesterday I met with the bio family of BN and J. I was a bit nervous, I mean I have these peoples kids, not that it's my fault they don't have them, but people often like to find someplace to transfer their anger. It went really well. I met their dad and 2 of their great grandma's, they were all very nice. It is obvious these people love the kids very much, people make mistakes, and the grandmas can't take them because of their ages. It's so sad because the grandmas want the kids so much, DHS won't allow it.
They thanked me for taking such great care of the kids. That was awesome, cause these kids can drive me bonkers and it felt good to have a little thanks for it. I mean, yes, I chose to become a foster parent, I chose the chaos, but that doesn't mean it was an easy choice, it was just the right one for me. I feel called to do this and I question this calling a lot, seeing people who are grateful to have great foster parents is nice.
We are still up in the air as to what is going on. I'm still expecting a call for them to leave anytime as they have other family that want to take them, there is just so much paperwork to get through....
It will be strange when they are gone, probably toughest on B, he'll wonder where they are, at 2 he doesn't understand the whole foster thing. He is pretty used to people being here and then not, so it should be ok with him. I'll miss them, they have grown in my heart and I love them bunches, but I know they are not mine, they are not meant to be mine, so I will take the time God has given me with them and be thankful for that.
Foster care is such a strange thing, you have someone's kid 24/7 for months and never know who they are. You fully take care of, buy things for and love a child who will leave at a moment's notice. They leave as they came (with a few more bags to take!) and you know nothing about them ever again.
I've had lots of people say they couldn't do foster care because they would get attached and it would be too hard for them when the kids left. You are supposed to get attached, you can only provide the love and care they need to thrive if you get attached. When they go it shouldn't be about you, it's about them, you do the best you possibly can so they know that there are people in this world that truly care and that they aren't alone. I don't know how i'm going to do, this is my first time going through it. I do know that when my heart breaks a little I will lean on the Lord knowing that He put me in the kids lives just as long as I needed to be and not a minute more. Then I will open my home to another of God's children because I can't be so selfish that I won't share the love in my house because i'm afraid of my own broken heart. These kids need people like me, people like you, people that will love them, just because they are lovable and because they are God's perfect creation and because it's the right thing to do. We have to spread God's love so that the kids in the system know that there is another way.
If you've ever thought about foster care/adoption, please open your heart and pray it out, maybe you are stronger than you think............
Oh my goodness, sitting in my cube all misty eyed.
ReplyDeleteYou're an amazing person for opening your heart to those two.
You are too sweet!
Delete