Warning! This is a vent!
Ok so I know people mean well, and we all have different gifts and abilities. But when people say "I could never do foster care, I'd get too attached" it kinda irks me.
Do you think I am a cold hearted B word?!?! Do you think I have no feelings?!?! OF COURSE YOU'LL GET ATTACHED! That is kinda the point! You could not provide the love these kids need if you don't get attached! The thing is, it's not about you! It's about the kids and what's best for the kids. Yes, you will have to deal with emotions that come when they leave. Yes, it will suck, you will be heartbroken. Then you will slowly heal (while always having those kids in your heart) and know that God only puts you in someones life for the amount of time you are meant to be there.
I'm not saying do foster care, it's tough, it's really tough. It's time consuming, it's expensive (you spend more than you get, believe me!), it makes you alter your life in ways that are not always comfortable. You have to change your parenting style, change your attitude, change your entire life. Everyone around you is affected by it, these kids go where you go, do what you do. If you are not all in, do not get in!
There are days I question what I'm doing, why I'm doing it.....then I remember, it's not about me! It's about God, glorifying Him by doing His work with His children. It's about the kids, the innocent lives that need love and to know that their are good people in the world who will give up lots of time/money/stuff/etc. to love them.
It's ok if your gift does not fall in line with foster care, but remember those of use who are foster parents have feelings too, it is a hard job, but it's worth it.
End rant.
No comments:
Post a Comment